Surgery Day Instructions
Laser Procedure (YAG/SLT/PI ONLY)
- You may take your medications as usual.
- You may eat and drink prior to your procedure.
- You will not need a person to stay with you after your laser procedure.
- Please bring sunglasses with you. This will provide comfort when exposed to bright light.
- Expect to be at the Surgery Center for at least 1 to 3 hours. This includes admission, preparation time, surgery, recovery time and discharge.
- You may be given a tentative time of arrival for your procedure at your surgeon’s office. Catalina Surgery Center will call you 24 hours prior to your procedure with the actual time of arrival.
Cataract, Cosmetic, or Functional Surgery
- Catalina Surgery Center will call 24 hours prior to your procedure with the actual time of arrival.
- If you don’t feel well, call your surgeon’s office.
- Check with your doctor about any medications you regularly take. Make sure they may be taken the day before, the day of and the day after surgery.
- DO NOT EAT 8 hours before your arrival. This includes gum, hard candy, mints and cough drops. Otherwise your surgery will be cancelled. You may have water up to 4 hours before your surgery.
- Expect to be at the Surgery Center for at least 1 to 3 hours.
- We recommend you have someone with you for 24 hours following surgery.
- Arrange to arrive an hour prior to your surgery and your ride should stay for the entire duration.
- Wear comfortable and loose clothing with tops that button in the front.
Day of Surgery
- Please shower before you come and remove all jewelry and make up. Do not use lotions or oils after bathing.
- Do not eat 8 hours prior to your procedure. You may have water up to 4 hours before your surgery.
- Bring your insurance cards, picture ID, form of payment for fees along with the Catalina Surgery Center Pre-Registration Forms.
- Do not take insulin, diabetic medication, diuretics on the day of surgery.
- Take blood pressure or heart medications with a sip of water unless otherwise directed by your physician.
- You should allow a minimum of 1 to 3 hours for your stay.
- Prior to surgery a nurse will take your vitals.
- A nurse will go over all post-operative instructions with you following surgery.
- Your driver should stay at Catalina Surgery Center for the entire time.
- Follow the post-operative instructions that the nurse reviewed and provided to you.
- After you have returned home, be sure to follow your doctor’s orders regarding diet, rest, and medication.
- Call your surgeon if you have unusual or unexpected symptoms or changes in your condition.
- Resume your normal diet. If general anesthesia was administered, start with clear liquids and proceed as tolerated to your normal diet.
- It is not unusual to feel a little sleepy or dizzy for several hours after surgery.
- The staff will phone the day after surgery to see how you are and answer any questions you may have.
- For 24 hours following your surgery DO NOT:
- OPERATE MACHINERY
- MAKE IMPORTANT DECISIONS OR SIGN ANY LEGAL DOCUMENTS